It is vital for Swindon to restore the Grade II* listed Mechanics Institute – the centrepiece of the Railway Heritage Quarter and of national significance. Its restoration will transform perceptions of Swindon and the town centre.

Built in 1855, Swindon’s Mechanics Institute was paid for by GWR workers. It housed the UK’s first lending library and provided healthcare service for workers – regarded by Nye Bevan as a blueprint for the National Health Service.